What is Prevent? Anti-terror unit which failed to stop Southport murders under increased scrutiny Southport Stabbing trial latest: Axel Rudakubana to be sentenced for murders of three girls at Taylor Swift dance class Southport killer Axel Rudakubana is set to be sentenced on Thursday morning for murdering three young girls in a frenzied knife attack last year. Rudakubana, 18, stabbed and killed the girls, aged between six and nine, with a 20cm-long kitchen knife as he ambushed a Taylor Swift-themed dance class in Southport, Merseyside. Wearing a surgical face mask while armed with the blade, the then 17-year-old travelled five…
Author: UK News
MyWaitrose members can claim a free hot drink from January 27 Waitrose to bring back free perk that had shoppers queuing around the corner Waitrose has heard the calls from their loyal customers and is set to bring back free hot drinks for shoppers – even if they do not buy anything in store. The upmarket supermarket has told members of its loyalty scheme that from 27 January, they can get one complimentary drink per day if they use a reusable cup. The perk – which entitles customers to a free americano, cappuccino, latte, or tea – was first introduced…
Greggs have recalled one of their most popular items from supermarket chain Iceland Greggs issues recall of supermarket steak bakes due to possible health risk Greggs have recalled one of its most popular items from shelves after a packaging error. The popular high street bakery chain has warned that some of its packs of steak bakes contain sausage, bean and cheese melts, which were incorrectly labelled as Steak Bakes. This means that some sulphites are not declared on the label. The UK’s Food Standards Agency (FSA) said: “the product is a possible health risk for anyone with a sensitivity to…
The Met Office has issued a yellow wind warning from midnight on Friday across most of the UK, including the south-west of England, the Midlands, northern England, Northern Ireland and Scotland Storm Eowyn map: Where and when snow and 90mph winds will hit UK after Met Office weather warnings issued Storm Eowyn is set to bring strong winds across the entire country, potentially putting lives at risk, the Met Office has warned. Gusts of more than 90mph could cause power cuts, travel disruption and damage to buildings as Storm Eowyn threatens the UK. There could also be a danger to…
Road, rail, airports and ferries are likely to be disrupted in many parts of the UK and Ireland on Friday Storm Eowyn: Met Office warns of danger to life as Britain faces 90mph winds Britain is set to be battered by winds of up to 90mph from Storm Eowyn as the Met Office warned of a danger to life in parts of the country over the next few days. Very strong winds are forecast to strike the north of England, south of Scotland and North Wales. The forecaster issued an amber warning of wind from 6am to 9pm on Friday…
It comes after Trump insiders told The Independent that the new US administration believes it has Sir Keir’s government “over a barrel” on trade as Britain becomes increasingly reliant on a US deal Britons now favour European allies over US as ‘unpredictable’ Trump returns, study finds Britons now favour Europe over the United States as an ally, a new study has found, marking a complete reversal of public opinion from almost 60 years ago. The study, by the Policy Institute at King’s College London, found that a majority of 53 per cent now say Britain should prioritise Europe, compared with…
There have been calls to tackle the “growing epidemic” of drug driving with half of motorists failing roadside drug tests. Calls to tackle drug driving ‘epidemic’ with drivers failing half of roadside tests There have been calls to tackle the “growing epidemic” of drug driving with half of motorists failing roadside drug tests. In 2023, 51 per cent of drivers pulled over for a roadside drug test were found to be positive. In the first seven months of 2024 that figure was 49 per cent, according to road safety charity IAM RoadSmart. This information is based on data from 17…
Shocking video footage has been released by police of a car being driven at speeds up to 90mph before causing a three-vehicle crash killing a lorry driver. Shocking footage shows car speeding before M27 horror crash that killed lorry driver Shocking video footage has been released by police of a car being driven at speeds up to 90mph before causing a three-vehicle crash killing a lorry driver. Ross Neiland, 38, from Littlehampton, West Sussex, has been jailed for nine years and nine months for causing the death of 36-year-old Michal Kaminski, from Salisbury, in the incident on the M27 on…
Both young girls, then aged 13, had troubled upbringings and were particularly vulnerable Two teenage girls plied with alcohol, drugs and repeatedly raped by ‘group of men in Rochdale’ A group of men subjected two young girls to “appalling” sexual exploitation over the course of several years in Greater Manchester, which saw them plied with alcohol and drugs and repeatedly raped, a court has heard. Both struggling with difficult upbringings, they were allegedly targeted by the group and became “beholden” to them, before being forced to carry out sex acts. Jurors heard that the two girls had “deeply troubled home…
The state missed chance after chance to stop Axel Rudakubana – then covered its errors, claims The Telegraph When Britain’s security forces fail to protect us from domestic threats, the Government now turns to a well-worn playbook. Don’t look back in anger. Don’t let hate divide us. And whatever you do, don’t ask questions. On July 29 last year, Axel Rudakubana viewed a video of a terrorist attack. He watched as a man yelling “Allahu Akbar” stabb a bishop in the head, neck and torso. Then he got in a taxi, rode to a dance class, walked in, and began…
Axel Rudakubana, 18, pleads guilty to murdering three girls in knife rampage at Taylor Swift dance class in Southport and admits terror offence and producing ricin This is the deranged and demonic mugshot of Southport killer Axel Rudakubana, who today admitted murder, possessing an Al Qaeda terror manual and making the biological weapon Ricin. The shocking picture of the teenager taken shortly after his arrest was released after he pleaded guilty to killing three primary schoolgirls and attempting to murder 10 other people at a Taylor Swift-themed dance class last summer. The 18-year-old, who wore a facemask and refused to…
How sickeningly easy it was for Southport killer Axel Rudakubana to buy knife & poison online before brutal murders SOUTHPORT murderer Axel Rudakubana was able to buy knives on Amazon in seconds despite being just 17 with a history of violence. The triple child killer also purchased equipment to make deadly ricin poison from the online retail giant, it emerged. Sir Keir Starmer told The Sun he will urgently change the law to stop under-18s bypassing online age checks with ease. He said: “This cannot continue.” Rudakubana, who fatally stabbed three young girls at a Taylor Swift dance class last…
The prime minister delivered a speech yesterday, following the guilty plea of the Southport killer, saying he will introduce tougher measures for people trying to buy knives online. It was revealed Axel Rudakubana bought the knife he used to murder three young girls on online retail giant Amazon, despite being only 17.
Kyle Clifford has admitted to murdering his ex-girlfriend and her sister with a crossbow and their mother with a knife in an attack at the family home. Carol Hunt, 61, was stabbed to death and Hannah Hunt, 28, and Louise Hunt, 25, suffered fatal crossbow bolt injuries in Bushey, near Watford, on 9 July. Clifford, 26, from north London, changed his plea to the murders during an appearance via video link at Cambridge Crown Court.
The owner of the Sun newspaper has offered a “full and unequivocal apology” to Prince Harry for “serious intrusion” into his private life and agrees to pay him substantial damages. It settles a long-running legal battle between the prince and the newspaper group, moments before it was due to reach the High Court.
Southport stabbing inquiry launched: War on misfits The Metro also quotes PM Sir Keir saying that in the past the predominant threat was highly organised political groups with clear political intent” like al-Qaeda and that, while that threat remains, a new one is posed by people “desperate for notoriety, sometimes inspired by traditional terrorist groups, but fixated on that extreme violence, seemingly for its own sake”.
Morning fog patches across northern England and Northern Ireland, lifting with a mix of bright spells and scattered coastal showers. Rather cloudy and mostly dry elsewhere but outbreaks of rain and drizzle across the southeast of England. Feeling rather cold. Tonight: Rain in the southeast clearing. Otherwise, coastal showers continuing in places. Patchy fog and frost, most likely in the east. Colder than previous nights with more widespread frost further north.
Trump to hold UK over barrel on trade Donald Trump’s new administration believes it has Sir Keir Starmer’s government “over a barrel” on trade as Britain becomes increasingly reliant on a US deal, insiders have told The Independent. The PM warned of a new terror threat from loners and ‘young men in bedrooms.’
PM’s pledge to overhaul terror laws amid ‘tidal wave’ of online violence The Guardian quotes the PM saying: “You can’t tell me that the material this individual viewed before committing these murders should be accessible on mainstream social media platforms”. The paper says Sir Keir also pledged changes that would allow perpetrators of terror attacks to be charged under terrorism laws even if they lack a coherent ideology. Convicted Capitol rioters are pictured on the front page after being freed by Trump.
Britain’s new threat from violent online misfits The Daily Express quotes the prime minister’s statement yesterday, saying the UK is now facing a new threat from “loners, misfits, [and] young men in their bedrooms” viewing violent material online and that “fundamental change” is needed to protect children. Prince William is pictured on the front page.
Total disgrace he was able to buy a knife on Amazon The Daily Mirror quotes the home secretary who said it was a “total disgrace” he was able to buy the weapon. The front page also notes the ‘Southport killer’s death manual is still available via Google.’ The front page also covers news that TV star Pauline Quirke has been diagnosed with dementia.
Scandal of Southport: The Amazon killer The Sun leads with reports Axel Rudakubana bought a knife from the online retail giant Amazon despite being only 17 at the time. The paper says the law prohibits the sale of knives to under-18s. Inside the paper, the prime minister promises change saying the lessons to be learnt from the case “could not be clearer.” News that Pauline Quirke has been diagnosed with dementia makes the front page.
Wednesday’s lead stories continue with similar coverage as yesterday with the Southport killer and Donald Trump’s presidency leading the front pages.
The prime minister addressed the public yesterday, following the guilty plea from the Southport killer, in which he warns that Britain is facing a new threat from what he called “loners, misfits [and] young men in their bedroom” accessing violent content online.
There are several stories on the new US president including reports on the Capitol rioters who were pardoned, his renewed threats to introduce tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China and as well as reports the 47th president will impose steep tax rises on foreign companies and overseas nationals working in the USA.
The back pages asses the English clubs’ performance in the Champions League, with Liverpool’s win seeing them sit at the top of the league and Aston Villa’s 1-0 loss. Manchester City and Arsenal are in action in the Champions League tonight.
Ex-Tory prime minister met his wife in the Sunshine State and held a US green card before being forced to give it up while he was chancellor Rishi Sunak bags new job in California – but allies insist he won’t give up Commons seat Allies of former prime minister Rishi Sunak have denied he is planning to quit as an MP after he accepted a new role in California. The ex-Tory leader, who suffered a thumping defeat at last year’s general election, has long been the subject of rumours he will relocate to the Sunshine State. He met his wife…
At least six London councils handing out £130 fines based on restrictions which lack up-to-date paperwork Thousands of London drivers paying wrong traffic fines every year Thousands of London drivers are paying traffic fines which should not have been issued, an AA analysis reveals. At least six London councils have engaged in the “outrageous” practice of handing out £130 fines based on restrictions and enforcement cameras which lack up-to-date paperwork, according to recent rulings by London London Tribunals’ traffic adjudicators. A revamp of Traffic Management Orders (TMOs) which govern local road restrictions is now being proposed, the Department for Transport…
The Education Secretary is due to announce that tech firms have helped develop a set of expectations which AI tools should meet to be classroom safe. Phillipson to set out plans to use technology to ‘modernise’ education system Leading tech firms have helped to develop a set of safety expectations for artificial intelligence tools in the classroom, the Government has announced. Education Secretary Bridget Phillipson will set out plans to use technology to “modernise” the education system, support teachers and “deliver” for pupils. In a keynote speech at ed tech event The Bett Show, Ms Phillipson is expected to say that using AI to…
The Internet Watch Foundation has called on the Prime Minister to step in over what it says are gaps in the Online Safety Act. Online safety group urges Starmer to intervene over child sexual abuse imagery Sir Keir Starmer must intervene and strengthen incoming online safety rules after a record amount of child sexual abuse material was found on the internet in 2024, a leading online safety organisation has said. The Internet Watch Foundation (IWF), which proactively searches for and helps remove child sexual abuse imagery from the internet, has written to the Prime Minister warning that without his input,…